The true essence of good work is only measurable when people work together in a team. In this competitive age where every one is ready to walk all over the other person to get ahead in life, team work has taken a back seat. In the race to prove one’s own worth, people forget about working in teams because they would rather work individually to show case themselves and their individual capabilities.
This is precisely why team building activities should be an integral part of any, rather every organization’s HR initiative. It’s only when one is willing to work in a team that additional professional traits can be developed on. Besides, what every professional who’s out there should realize is that, without the help and inputs of other people, good work will never get done.
First what one should do is thoroughly understand the benefits of working in a team so that the importance of working in one is well embedded in everyone’s minds:
- Working together in team’s helps departments / companies to reach goals faster because work gets done faster. Imagine for instance, a construction site. Can the work be done by one engineer only? Or just one construction worker? It’s impossible! There has to be a group of people who are ready to work together to balance the tasks out.
- Working in teams ensures that people learn how to deal with or get along better with others. You cannot expect to be closed out from the world and do your own thing especially when at work.
- Team work ensures that people learn how to communicate openly and frequently, this will help the organization progress further too.
- Team work additionally teaches people to contribute with what they do best. For instance, if a team is told to make a presentation on the coming Friday, ideally, the person who has always been great with research will use his skill to contribute some facts and figures to make the presentation more authentic, one who is good in writing will draft the content of the presentation and so on. This way, each person gets to further develop and explore their core potential and skill for a common objective.
Every task doesn’t have to be undertaken by teams, some can be undertaken by individual persons too. However, it is more important for organizations to understand what kind of work will be better dealt with if performed by teams. Because once this in place teams can accordingly be formed to work on the task at hand more effectively.
And since working in teams for some of the tasks are just unavoidable, it is important to first undertake several team building activities in the organization to ensure that the groups of people are able to work together without any internal bickering.
This is because; team building activities build the personnel of the organization by:
- Making them feel like part of one big family,
- Making each one of them feel important,
- Developing Interaction and Communication skills,
- Promoting the element of sharing knowledge and skills,
- Promoting the sense of belonging, to each other and to the organization,
- Developing a neutral level of professionalism among everyone,
- Giving the organization the image of “one wholesome team”,
- Developing the company’s image as a professional and reliable one,
- Helping everyone learn to count on each other for support
Many HR managers have today understood the importance of integrating the people of the organization and all of them resort to various creative or even text book methods to promote the spirit of team work throughout all levels of the organization. Activities are therefore conducted at least once a year to re-emphasize the importance and spirit of team work. This also helps new entrants into the company have a wholesome and positive view about the company and its work methods. Many employees will feel more connected to an organization that often focuses on team building activities because they will feel cared for. No one wants to be treated like a pawn in the system after-all.
Team building activities help to maintain an equal workmanship spirit among the employees too. Usually, organizations organize team building activities that include everyone that is on the company’s payroll, right from the senior level managers to the junior most interns. This gives all the employees across all levels a chance to interact with each other and get to know their fellow colleagues better. And interacting with someone during an activity session always gives one more insight on the person’s personality too.