While formatting an interview for a specific role or designation in a company, the Human Resource manager ideally needs to list down a set of informational interview questions that can help frame the perfect interview for the role.
Informational questions would widely target queries that answer several aspects related to the role or designation. Every role / designation requires a different set of capabilities and qualifications so its important to list what you are exactly looking for when trying to fill in a vacant position in your company.
Some informational interview questions related to the occupation are:
- What title does the person you are interviewing use?
- What are the other known names for the same occupation or position? For example in the advertising industry, the Creative Director is a term that can be used along with the term Creative Supervisor.
- What do the exact tone of duties involve and what is the work format usually used for it?
- What educational qualification is ideal to support jobs in that sphere? For instance, for a marketing executive’s role, most companies prefer a candidate to have a MBA in Marketing in the least.
- Do employers look for additional degrees for the position?
- What kind of work experience would employers look for to fill this role?
- Is practical training an absolute compulsion for this role?
- What additional steps are required to shortlist potential successful candidates?
- What are the key words that are used to search for a candidate to fill this type of position?
- What is the pace of advancement and are promotions based on additional / higher qualifications only?
- What skills are essential for this job?
- What are the other industries that similar roles are required for?
- What strengths are required to benefit in this position?
- How can one stay focused in this role?
- Does technical knowledge count in this role?
- Does the candidate need to know how to manipulate computers well for the role?
- Should contracts for this type of work be longer than a year?
- How are increments calculated for this role?
- Can people with no past experience be hired for this role?
- How many years of experience are considered relevant for this role?
- What are the next promotional titles related to this role?
Some informational interview questions related to the person to be hired:
- How many years of experience have you gathered in this industry?
- Do you ever think of switching industries?
- What added value can you provide to the role?
- How would you motivate a team to outperform?
- Are you a transparent worker?
- What was your relationship with your last boss? Did you often have disagreements?
- How did you end up choosing a career in this field?
- How does your father influence you and your lifestyle?
- Do you let your ego get in the way of work?
- Tomorrow, if a subordinate was doing very well, would you try to get him fired?
- How can you prove that you are a team player?
- You went to xxx college to study law and ended up working in the marketing industry for the last 10 years. Do you ever feel your education has been wasted?
- What is most important to you – family or career?
- If you had to suddenly go on a work tour and it was Christmas season, would you still go?
- How old were you when you decided that this career is right for you?
- Do you believe in loyalty? As per your CV it looks like you leave for greener pastures every 1 year.