Feeling pangs of loneliness is something that everyone experiences at some time or the other in life. When people move to a new place due to work options or when people aren’t comfortable being social, feelings of loneliness can creep up and get to you.
Its quite normal to feel a sense of loneliness at some point of time or the other and when you realize that you are lonely, there are several things you can do to make yourself feel better. The main thing is to try and avoid feeling lonely by making new friends, meeting friends, both old and new, surrounding yourself with people you care about, perhaps even getting a pet. Being lonely is a feeling and its easy to overcome it too. One doesn’t have to feel sad when one is lonely.
If you are feeling lonely and are looking for ways to get over it, here are a few ideas that can possibly help you:
- Get involved in more social activities around your neighborhood. If you are feeling lonely, try to be more social than before. The golden rule is: If you stay busy, you won’t have time to feel lonely. Go and participate in local events, meet friends and neighbors, have a coffee with the elderly, there is tons to do within your own neighborhood to avoid or to deal with being lonely.
- If you have free time, use it to volunteer at old age shelters or orphanages, you will be so touched by the genuine love of people around you and the quantum of work around you will be so much that you will have no time to feel lonely. What’s more, you will end up making friends too.
- Join a class or two. List out your hobbies and find evening classes that can help you develop your skill. If you occupy yourself with things you like doing, you will be dealing with your loneliness quite effectively.
- Call your parents or your old high school friends. Have long chats with them when you’re feeling lonely. You will have so much catching up to do that you won’t get time to think of how lonely you are.
- Host a party when you are feeling lonely. It doesn’t have to be a party with too many people, just call a few close friends over, order some food and drinks and you are set. Spending time with people is the easiest way to kill loneliness.
- Go for a stroll when you are lonely. A stroll along a park or along your own neighborhood will refresh your senses and help you deal with loneliness.
- Go to a library and get a book, start reading. If the book is interesting enough, you will be so lost in its story that any feelings of loneliness will quickly disappear.
- Redecorate your house or just simply rearrange your existing furniture. The joy in doing these simple things will help you overcome being lonely.
- If you get a playful pet like a naughty little puppy, its fun ways and cute habits will keep your attention focused on it thus effectively helping you get over loneliness.
- Watch some television or put on a movie CD. You will be so engrossed in the movie that you won’t even realize how time just flew by you.
- Go shopping. Get some newer clothes, furnishings for the house and decorative pieces of art. Shopping can be a stress buster along with helping you deal with loneliness.
- Indulge in some meditation. The calm and quiet that comes over your mind will not only help you relax, it will help you deal with loneliness.
- Sit with a warm cup of tea and introspect. At times when you are lonely, taking time to think about life, your dreams and goals can help you in the long run.
- Rearrange your wardrobe and throw out all your old clothes. Better still; donate them to a shelter for homeless children. You’ll find so many things you had forgotten you had that old memories will help you feel less lonely.
Loneliness is just a feeling, an emotion. If you are lonely, don’t worry too much about it. Just sit back and relax. With time, the feeling usually subsides. Do some activities, get a grip on all your pending chores, or even try taking a nap. You will be bound to feel better soon enough.
At a time like this it is actually useful to also reconnect with things you have not done in a long time. Like going for a swim. Or going dancing to a local club. Exercise, free your mind…there is a lot to do so go out there and do it and win the battle against your lonely feelings.