Hair care and maintenance starts with good hygiene. Often people don’t realize when their hair becomes dirty because they don’t much tend to focus on it all the time, they way they do their body. But grime build up occurs little by little on the scalp all the time. This is why its very necessary to try and keep an eye on the health of your scalp and hair by washing it regularly.
How much is regular enough though depends on person to person. The natural texture of everyone’s hair differs as does the effect of grime build up.
The length of the hair also plays a prime influencing factor in determining how often one should wash their hair. Short hair which is not too oily can be washed once a week while medium to longer lengths as often as twice.
1. Ideally, experts suggest that washing the hair with a shampoo and nourishing conditioner once a week should be good enough. It helps maintain the quality of the hair (too much washing can strip the hair of its nutrients) while keeping it clean too.
2. But, keeping in mind the fact that each individual’s hair type and texture is different and requires a different hair care treatment, each individual would require specific customized hair wash systems too! In that sense, what suits a person to wash their hair once a week may not suit everyone. Some people may need to wash their hair every alternate day – if their hair is oily and begins to look greasy quickly. Some people may need to wash their hair up to two times a week. The key lies in understanding the type of your hair and knowing what it needs.
3. A daily hair wash is not usually advisable because it is said that it strips the hair of its natural moisture and nutrients. However, a person’s lifestyle also influences the decision on how often to wash hair. If you are the kind who needs to stay out in the sun for work, or if you travel a lot due to work, your hair may be subject to quicker dirt and grime buildup due to the exposure to the sun, wind and air. In this case, washing it with a daily use shampoo every alternate day may be better.
4. Make use of a conditioner every time you wash your hair. A conditioner helps restore some moisture in the hair, because shampoo tends to strip the hair of moisture. Although this may require you to spend more time on a head wash, its well worth the effort.
5. People with dry hair are advised to use some hair oils to nourish the hair further. So, if you decide to wash your hair once a week and have dry hair, try using a hair oil on it 30 minutes before your head wash. Massage your head and hair and then leave the oil on for a while before washing it off with a mild shampoo and conditioner.
Hair wash is important to keep the hair and scalp clean, if it doesn’t done regularly enough you will experience bouts of itching and severe dandruff. This affects the skin too eventually and also leads to hair fall.
Decide by performing the trial and error method to shortlist for yourself what’s best for your hair. Start out by washing your hair once a week and then move on if you feel that its not enough.